Do You Need an ISBN for eBooks
“… Proponents for using ISBNs with eBooks cite a number of reasons:
- They make you look professional.
- They make your books easier to find (more discoverable).
- They get your books into more places.
Opponents of using ISBNs with eBooks cite these reasons:
- ISBNs cost money.
- They have not been proven to increase sales.
- It’s an antiquated practice that isn’t needed for eBooks.
The Truth About eBooks and ISBNs
Let’s analyze the pros and cons.
- No question that to do ISBNs the right way, they cost money. But it’s not much if you invest in at least 10 at a time.
- I don’t think there’s any doubt that they make you look professional, but some would question whether that helps sales.
- I would like to think they make your books easier to find, but that might be a minor point only true for a very small percentage of people.
- The primary plus for me is that using an ISBN for eBooks will get you into more places, which means potentially more sales. And one of those places are libraries.”